tomorrow marks 75 years that munna, that good looking lady on the right, has been alive! as she’s reading this, she’s probably upset that i revealed her age. but i think she should wear it like a badge of honor! my munna is unlike any grandmother, or 75-year-old, that i know. i wish that everyone had the chance to meet her. here are a few things that make munna so special:
- up until a few years ago, she rode a jet ski almost everyday that the weather would allow. and she didn’t stop because of age, only because of location.
- for 8 years, munna took as many grandchildren as possible to a summer family camp in north georgia. it was basically our version of disneyworld.
- she has the sweetest southern accent, and is often told she sounds like paula deen. (but she hates that :))
- every time you visit her, she will make at least one of your favorite meals. (ex: chicken salad)
- she owns an iPhone and iPad, and is proficient on both. AND she uses facebook!
of course, there are many more things that make her special. i have so many wonderfully sweet memories of her taking me out on the jet ski as a kid, scratching my back until i fell asleep, playing with us in the pool, making the infamous ‘chipped beef on toast’ for breakfast, and proclaiming “kitchen’s closed!” after she finished the dishes from supper. i don’t get to see munna as often these days, unfortunately. life gets in the way and doesn’t leave much room for road trips. that’s the hard thing about growing up and moving off; visits with grandparents tend to fall only on holidays now. i am incredibly grateful to have so many memories with her, and to have another year to make even more when she comes to visit us in nashville!
munna, despite the miles that are between us this weekend, i hope that you know just how loved and appreciated you are. i would give anything to celebrate with you on your big day! i love you dearly and i’m so thankful that you are my grandmother, and friend. cheers to many more years of being your “chatterbox!”